If you are a construction worker in Arizona, you expose yourself to several hazards that can cause serious injuries every day. To ensure your safety and that of others, you should know the common dangers you face so that you can take the appropriate steps to minimize them. Here are the top five hazards at a construction site.
Five common construction site hazards
- Falling objects – Beware of tools, construction materials, and debris that can fall on you while working.
- Toxic fumes – Use proper ventilation when working with hazardous materials, and always stay away from areas with toxic fumes.
- Slip and falls – Keep floors dry and remove any obstacles on the way that makes you fall.
- Burns and electric shocks – Minor burns and electrocution can have a lasting impact on your body and ability to work, so ensure you cover bare wires and wear appropriate protective gear at work.
- Cuts and lacerations – Beware of everything in your environment when working because even if you have protective clothing on, a sharp object can pierce through and hurt you.
What to do in case of an injury
When you get injured at your job, your primary goal should be to seek the best immediate medical help that you need. It doesn’t matter if it costs a lot or if you were at fault for your injuries; according to Arizona laws, you will receive the medical benefits and compensation you deserve. Your employer must have workers’ compensation insurance for such unfortunate situations.
When filing for workers’ compensation, keep in mind that time is of the essence. You only have a year from the time you sustained injuries to file a claim. So, when you get hurt, report to your supervisor as soon as possible, get treatment, and then follow up with the process of getting your compensation.
Getting the compensation you deserve won’t be as smooth as you would expect. Remember that you are filing a claim against your employer and their insurance company. So, proper documentation (medical records) and proof that you sustained injuries from your job is vital in getting what you want.